forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Forrest-Cocoon-Lenya commit access
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:27:37 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Let's not be driven by fear, but by opportunity... and let's look at
> history. Our open access to Cocoon and Lenya has never given us issues.

By the way, Lenya do not currently have access
to our SVN, only Cocoon.

> Instead we have gained Antonio and Unico's locationmap. All gain, no
> pain... where's the problem?
>
> If we will have problems, we can still lock down later. Let's remember
> it's not about opening to the world, but to *Apache* peers.

No problem yet. However i can forsee a situation
where there can become a problem. Not being paranoid,
just trying to look ahead and make sure that we don't
create a problem.

Try this hypothetical (mostly so) ...

Lets say that Apache XXX project takes on a new committer
who is a loose cannon. I have actually seen this happen
already. I almost voted -1, but with that project doing
their committer votes in public, i was not brave enough.
I regretted that later. I had not seen any merit process
and i did not have trust. (That is why Forrest PMC votes
in private.)

So in this hypothetical, that person now has access to
Forrest SVN. They come here too and start making changes
with no idea, nor care, about our desired direction.
They just want to get the job done, their way.

Yes, our PMC can always roll back changes and revoke
access, but that causes community friction. Also with a
small number of active people on our PMC, that oversight
becomes difficult.

Anyway, i just want to ensure that we all, especially
our new PMC members, understand the implications.

-David