forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: menu context without a site.xml entry
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 03:52:00 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> How can one get the menu to maintain some context with no entry in
> site.xml?

With the current system, i don't think we can.
That is specifically mentioned at [1] below.

>  For example, if the uri is "/category/News/entry1.html" and
> the site.xml was:
>
>   <blog label="Categories" href="blog/">
>     <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="My Sample Web Blog"/>
>     <news label="News" href="News/" description="Thoughts on the
> current events">
>       <news-index label ="news" href="index.html"/>
>     </news>
>     <sports label="Sports" href="Sports/" description="Thoughts on sports">
>       <sports-index  href="index.html"/>
>       <entry1 label="test" href="entry1.html"/>
>     </sports>
>   </blog>
>
> Since entry1.html is logically subordinate to the 'News' site.xml
> label, it seems like I should be able to keep that node "selected".

We should, but can't.

> I've even tried putting an entry under "news" node without a label
> (even thought that's not a reasonable solution) and it doesn' work.

That sounds strange. That should work with the
current system. The tips [1] explicitly mention that.

> guess I would expect it to "fallback" similiar to the tabs.  In the
> case of a menu-entry I suppose falling back would be to it's immediate
> directory, then parent, etc.

Perhaps the Java code that deals with this needs
to be enhanced. Many people have grappled with this
problem, so there is obviously a need.

> any help would be appreciated.

Do any of the tips help, about interaction between
tabs.xml and site.xml
[1] http://forrest.apache.org/docs/faq.html#tab-site

-David