forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] rollback - internal.view and output.viewHelper.xhtml to revision 280939 (was Re: svn commit: r292072)
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:06:23 GMT
El mié, 28-09-2005 a las 23:32 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El mié, 28-09-2005 a las 21:45 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:

> >> Unfortunately, I cannot give examples from it as the
> >>organisation has not permitted me to open source that part of the code.

> > To bad that there are still companies that like using os but do not want give anything
back.
> > I made some experience on that as well and it is a bummer.
>
> Actually, this particular organisation has contributed a hell of a lot
> to Forrest (and to many other OS products).

Thanks very much to this organisation. I did not want to say this to
offend anyone. Please keep on supporting us by letting devs release code
back to the core. It it helping you even ...

> They just don't want to
> contribute this particular part of their system since it is part of
> their competitive advantage right now.

Yes, that is the reason I could not release the inx plugin. :(

> In the past they have done the
> same, but when competitors caught up they have donated back.

Hmm, software as competitive advantage is short term only, I am afraid.
The optimization of the involved process supported by this software will
lead to longer term strategic advantages.

...but that leads to strategic managements theories and M. Porter where
you will find exceptions for above said...

Anyway, I can fully understand that they do not feel to donate it back.
This is the phenomenon of free riding which is really bad in OS.
Competitors will use your donations but not having the producing costs.
Sad but true. :(

> (got to say that because I know some of them are in here ;-)

(had to reply to it because of this ;-)

> > Anyway I would be glad to see a simple example how you did it as soon as you find
some time.

> No problem. I'm keen to see the new branch so I can do it in there, the
> organisation has *not* restricted changes to Forrest Core, only to the
> plugin. So it is only a matter of my finding time.
>
> Ross

:)

You can even make an example in an email I do not care. ;-)

Anyway, I will create now the new branch.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"