forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest:views and xhtml2
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:09:47 GMT
On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 21:17 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
> On 9/8/05, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > why are we using views in the xhtml2 plugin?
>
> This seems like an odd question.  Because views are an integral part
> of the TR?   The plugin has turned into a next-gen forrest complete w/
> new internal structure, refined views, integral locationmap usage, and
> streamlined sitemap.

When did we agreed on all that? I remember a thought of Nicola (actually
one sentence in the log) but never have seen any discussion about it on
this list. Actually I do *not* yet see that the plugin has turned to the
next-gen forrest, nor that it should.

> Why do you ask?

I see that the focus of this plugin is to wide.

IMO we are trying to rewrite forrest with this plugin, but major parts
*have to* change before we can do so. It does not seem practical to use
e.g. the views we have now or the processing of (tab, menu, doc and
site) and trying to rewrite the core. Copying things from one place to
another to just make it work is not my understanding of a total rewrite
of forrest.

IMO the xhtml2 plugin should only focus in providing the intermediate
format in xhtml2 and that's it. To integrate views into it *now* makes
the whole thing to complicated and slows down the process.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"