forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Things to enhance as committer
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:01:36 GMT
Dear committers,

Disclaimer:
I wrote this mail original to the PMC list, because it is directed to
committers only, and David, as PMC Head, asked me to post it to the dev
list. It is *not* addresses to devs nor user, it it addressed *only* to
*committers*. If you are not a committer I am *not* talking about you.

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 18:42 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Okay, we can only do what we can. I do hope that
> i did not put you off. That was not my intention.

Actually it is not David, nor any other committer or dev in special. I
will just not have too much spare time in the following months. The time
I have I want to use efficient.

The way we started to handle things in forrest are IMO ATM the opposite
of time efficient.

It seems we prefer to kill a momentum that arises (and that somebody had
a hard time to start) by starting a debate on principles. Latest example
is the lenya forrest integration momentum (which should be the base for
DOCO). What happend to the "Commit-then-review" method for
decision-making?

We say one step at a time, which is perfectly alright, but still we need
to do the first step. If somebody offers to do the first step then try
to lead his way and not building barriers.

It seems we prefer to have endless discussion and well meant
recommendation that do not contain any specific examples (e.g. code
discussion). If you want to change something give an example that is
working and we can discuss this.

If somebody took the time to come up with a solution/recommendation you
should better spend your time to enhance that instead of recommend
something different (e.g. with another focus).

It seems we (committers) open issues that could have been fixed at the
same time as we opening them. Just go ahead and fix it and save the
resources of the ASF and the project (every issue produces overhead:
mail, time, ...).

It seems we (committers) ask whether some components work or not. Just
go ahead and try it (that is what the rest has to do as well).

I would love to keep on helping lenya *and* forrest in the future. I
hope that we can keep the time ratio between discussion and decision as
low as possible. Otherwise it will cost to much time to keep up this
support. Lets please live again our commit-then-review method for
decision-making.

salu2
--
thorsten