forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest-lenya instance
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:06:00 GMT
On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 13:07 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > > Does that need a publication?
> >
> > Hmm, to be bloody honest with you, my intend is to implement Ross idea
> > of getting forrest devs started with lenya. I personally see too much
> > work and effort that is duplicated (done by both projects) and this as
> > opportunity to get both projects in sync to focus on their core
> > competence. For example our plugins and lenya's modules *are* the same
> > thing (better said addressing the same issue). This is just one example
> > where we (speaking for both project) try to reinvent the wheel that
> > cocoon made round for us, instead of contributing the enhancement of the
> > wheel back to cocoon. ;-)
>
> That paragraph does not sound like a joke, but the smiley
> at the end indicates so. Anyway, i am treating it as serious.
>
> I suggest that we keep developing our plugins here
> at Forrest, and that Lenya keep on with their modules.
>
> When Cocoon has real blocks happening then we will
> all be able to interoperate better. There is no point
> contributing back to Cocoon at this stage. Nor do i see
> reasons for Lenya and Forrest to merge capabilities yet.
> The design of plugins/blocks will change.

Please, I am quite tiered that lately many people started to jump on
everything that somebody writes. If you do, make sure that it is not
your *own* interpretation rather then the actual written thought!

Who said or recommended that we should not develop plugins anymore or
lenya their modules? I said to sync the effort!

> We are not reinventing Cocoon's wheel.

that is your personal opinion. I have my own.

> Forrest built
> upon that with the pass-through sitemaps and donated
> that part back. More major changes need to wait for
> real blocks.
>
> > Now BT (back to topic), yes we need our own publication, for now only to
> > clean up the default pub. The default pub is like our "forrest seed"
> > with lots of examples. What we need is something like "forrest
> > seed-basic". A cleanup of all the examples to get started. Then we can
> > go enhance it and extend it for our needs. The "flat directory
> > structure" we will need to define and yes, that is for now just a
> > playground for us and not "yet our Forrest documentation editing
> > environment".
>
> Okay now i understand that we do need a very basic
> "publication". You wondered in another thread whether
> we needed one. I was trying to help make that decision.
> Actually i am surprised that Lenya does not already have
> a very basic publication that we can just use.

It is called default pub, like i mentioned. We should use it instead.

> > > Can you explain a bit more about the difference between
> > > those options?
> >
> > We can add every single committer (to get started) to the ac. That let
> > you log in as e.g. thorsten with pass XxXxX or david with pass YyYyYyY.
> > That allow to track down specific changes by users/editors. I would
> > setup the accounts on demand and notify every single committer about
> > their password that I have choosen or alternatively the committer can
> > send me the pass and I set it up.
> >
> > The alternative is to create a generic user/editor that you and me use
> > with the same pass. Like we have e.g. in the lenya zone. That is quicker
> > to setup and could be easily extended in future. The problem is when it
> > comes to users/devs. I fully trust all the PMC committers to not abuse
> > their given rights, but my mother always told me to be careful about
> > strangers (no offense indented). ;-)
>
> I reckon that we should go with the individual accounts
> so that we know who made changes, and add new accounts
> on demand. Committers can review and put changes into
> production, users/devs can edit. Committers use their
> ASF login IDs and users/devs choose their own name.

Since it is an experiment like you said I would be for variant 1 (create
one editor/reviewer).

> > Roadmap:
> >
> > Do we agree on that? I strongly recommend it to set it up in our svn.
>
> I don't see why it needs to be called
> "Forrest Tuesday publication". This whitebaord
> should be used at any time.

I did not give it a name.

> If Lenya don't have a basic publication, then we
> can develop it in our SVN and contribute it back.

We should use the default pub till the forrest community wants their own
publication.

> > see the above mentioned alternatives.

> > on the 6th of September.
>
> For the task at hand, yes. The main reason is to
> have a whiteboard to assist us with the XHTML move.
>
> The secondary reason is to have a Lenya instance
> so that later we can enhance our Lenya input plugin.
> I don't want to see this first ForrestTuesday turn
> into a Lenya-Forrest integration exercise. This is
> a good time to kick-start, but we have other priorities.

Then we should use the cocoon or lenya wiki. I do not have time for
creating pubs for fun. If it should not become a basis for integration
then I do not see the point in spending my spare time for it.

BTW I want to announce that I will lay lower with forrest for a while.
There are too many things in my real life happening right now that I
need to leverage my time better. I will still be subscribed but only
doing work when I can (mostly that will be view related).

salu2