forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest-lenya instance
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:02:46 GMT
On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:55 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > Maybe we should think about a basic structure of *our* lenya pub, this
> > way I can setup the instance with our structure and get rid of the
> > sample.
>
> We just want a flat directory structure at the moment.
> This is a "whiteboard" wiki-like thingy for us to
> experiment with. It is not yet our Forrest documentation
> editing environment. That is a long way down the track.
>
> Does that need a publication?

Hmm, to be bloody honest with you, my intend is to implement Ross idea
of getting forrest devs started with lenya. I personally see too much
work and effort that is duplicated (done by both projects) and this as
opportunity to get both projects in sync to focus on their core
competence. For example our plugins and lenya's modules *are* the same
thing (better said addressing the same issue). This is just one example
where we (speaking for both project) try to reinvent the wheel that
cocoon made round for us, instead of contributing the enhancement of the
wheel back to cocoon. ;-)

Now BT (back to topic), yes we need our own publication, for now only to
clean up the default pub. The default pub is like our "forrest seed"
with lots of examples. What we need is something like "forrest
seed-basic". A cleanup of all the examples to get started. Then we can
go enhance it and extend it for our needs. The "flat directory
structure" we will need to define and yes, that is for now just a
playground for us and not "yet our Forrest documentation editing
environment".

> > How to we want to handle the user management?
> >
> > Should I add all forrest committers as reviewer and the devs/user as
> > editor. Or should I create one default editor and user? We need to make
> > sure that nobody besides us can edit.
>
> Can you explain a bit more about the difference between
> those options?

We can add every single committer (to get started) to the ac. That let
you log in as e.g. thorsten with pass XxXxX or david with pass YyYyYyY.
That allow to track down specific changes by users/editors. I would
setup the accounts on demand and notify every single committer about
their password that I have choosen or alternatively the committer can
send me the pass and I set it up.

The alternative is to create a generic user/editor that you and me use
with the same pass. Like we have e.g. in the lenya zone. That is quicker
to setup and could be easily extended in future. The problem is when it
comes to users/devs. I fully trust all the PMC committers to not abuse
their given rights, but my mother always told me to be careful about
strangers (no offense indented). ;-)

Roadmap:
> > - create forrest lenya-based Forrest Tuesday pub.

Do we agree on that? I strongly recommend it to set it up in our svn.

> > - create user

see the above mentioned alternatives.

> > - create content

on the 6th of September.

> > - use the brand new lenya plugin to get the content into our docu

open ended.

salu2

thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"