forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:16:52 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
>> Ron Blaschke wrote:

[snip]
>> > NN  Components(Role)    Average time   Lastest times
>> > 1   file ([1])           213 ms         30 ms    30 ms   581 ms
>> > 2   idgen                  6 ms         10 ms     0 ms    10 ms
>> > 3   xinclude            4202 ms       6219 ms  6389 ms     0 ms
>> > 4   linkrewriter ([2])  2333 ms          0 ms    10 ms  6990 ms
>> > 5   xslt ([3])            13 ms         20 ms    20 ms     0 ms
>> > 6   xslt ([4])            66 ms         20 ms    10 ms   170 ms
>> > 7   xslt ([5])             6 ms          0 ms    10 ms    10 ms
>> > 8   html                   0 ms          0 ms     0 ms     0 ms
>> >     Total time          6269 ms       6269 ms  6429 ms  7311 ms
[snip]

>> Let us interpret that. The body-index.html was requested
>> three times. The right-hand column is the initial request.
>>
>> Other columns are the subsequent requests. These should all
>> come from the cache, and that is true for most components.
>>
>> However, "xinclude" does not. Its first processing is fast
>> (there are no xinclude statements in the source). On every
>> subsequent occasion it is being processed and taking too
>> much time.

Right.

>> Comment-out that xinclude transformer in sitemap.xmap
>> and the "extra" time then gets listed on the "idgen".
>> Comment-out that and the time moves to "linkrewriter".
>>
>> I wondered if the stylesheet that does the profiler
>> presentation might have some bug. So i added the
>> prettier stylesheet that is provided in the Cocoon block.
>> Same effect. (The stylesheet seems better so i left that
>> in place).

Quite interesting.  There seems to be something odd going on
here.

> Compared with revision 227321 ...

This revision number is from Cocoon, right?

> body-index.html
> NN Component    Av.  Other times
> 1 file           252  16  16  489
> 2 idgen           3    1   1    5
> 3 xinclude        9    7   7   11
> 4 linkrewriter 1011    9   9 2014
> 5 xslt           85   15  15  156
> 6 xslt          115   13  13  218
> 7 xslt           10    1   1   19
> 8 html           11    0   0   22
> 9 TOTAL        1567   88  64 3497

Nice job, David.  These numbers look quite good.  This should help
narrow the problem down. A comparison of two CPU profiles might bring
something up.

Before digging down to the problem, I thought I'd start with the
profiler plugin, so don't wait for me looking for the problem.

Second, I am investigating how to tell Forrest that index.html and
/index.html really are the same thing.

Ron