forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Views Terminology
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:47:36 GMT
Sorry, I'm late to respond, as usual ...

Ross Gardler wrote:

>> Stucture

Thanks for starting this definition drive. That is really helpful.

> This was used in two contexts: structure of the final output page (as in
> forrest:view) and structure of the src page that an editor is concerned
> with (i.e. Lenya).

Perhaps here we should go into more detail:

- structure of content:

  The semantic (=meaning based) structure of the document as defined
  by the grammar and implemented by the author using the grammar to
  write her content as an xml-document that adheres to this grammar.

- structure of site:

  The structure of the complete site and the position of a document
  within it. This is currently defined by the grammar and limitations of
  site.xml and implemented by the author or editor assembling a site
  from different data sources.

  In future plug-ins may allow for alternative grammars to replace
  site.xml for example of a simpler directory-hierarchie like
  type.

- structure of hooks

  The structuring of the assembled page where all content is in place
  and structured with div and span-elements to provide hooks for
  theming.

  Seems to me that this stage might not be required for all kind of
  output media. Or do we image xml-fo transformations implementing a
  similar kind of theming to css?

- structure of final output page

  The structuring done by type-setting the final result with css or
  xsl:fo.

--
Ferdinand Soethe