forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Quick evaluation of Cocoon Portal Engine as forrest:views implementation
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:48:34 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>  > Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>>  > ...
>>  >
>>  >>* The portal uses a configuration hierarchy:
>>  >>  1. define coplets
>>  >>  2. define instances
>>  >>     (may use coplets multiple times)
>>  >>  3. define the layout
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > How does it define layout?
> Full details in [1]. In short you define a series of rows and columns.
> As both myself and Johannes observed the potential for theming in the
> Portal Engine is limited, this rows/columns concept is one cause of
> this. Forrest:views is far superior in its theming. The portal engine
> skin system looks very similar to our "old fashioned" skinning (see [2])
> I think that we would want to replace the skinning system with the
> forrest:views approach (disclaimer: I have not yet discussed this with
> any Portal devs and have not looked in detail at how realistic this is)

Another portal engine with it's theming support explained:

>>  > One more thing that comes to mind... Cocoon portal-coplets seem like a
>>  > perfect way to define what /content/ is to be in a page.
>>  > I mean, views are basically a page-templating system. Can a portal be
>>  > defined as a page-templating system?
> I believe so, furthermore, I believe utilising the portal engine will
> save us much development effort (I repeat my disclaimer, I have not yet
> looked under the hood or played with the code - this is a *belief* not
> an statement of fact).

IMV a portal is a dynamic content *aggregator*, rather than a templating
system, and in this role it will certainly help our efforts.

Here I read:

 "page layout is not a part of the Java Portlet Standard API"

Now I understand where views can mutually fit in.

Some extra info on Jetspeed layout and decorators:

> [1]
> [2]

Nicola Ken Barozzi
            - verba volant, scripta manent -