forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automated formatting of XML files
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:33:48 GMT
> So do we all want to work with the same editor for cleaning or do we
> want to use a cleaning tool and give up our blank lines in XML files?

Many of us are sensitive to our development environments (atleast I
am!), and forcing a particular choice of editor would not be a good
idea IMHO :-)

The reason I don't want to use any IDE for this cleanup task, and
instead a tool like Tidy, is that things can be automated much more
easily. We can schedule clean-ups periodically, add targets to the
build process to do it automatically -- there's a lot of flexibility
in how we go about it.

Using an XSL transform for cleanup is attractive because we don't need
any external utility; Forrest is all about XML processing anyywas :-)

So I'm +1 on either Tidy or XSL (personally, I prefer Tidy since in my
experience its much smarter and faster). -0 on jEdit plugins and such.
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: floatingsun.net