forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: whitespace cleanup test
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:49:40 GMT
> Jalopy was mentioned during that big cocoon-dev thread.
> Follow the links from http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-644
>
> For some reason, we decided not to use it. Perhaps because
> periodic cleanups can still cause havoc for people who
> are working on those files. A lot of Cocoon people gave
> it good reviews, but warned that any such cleanup
> needs to be very careful.

I would still like to give it a shot. Hows this -- I run Jalopy on one
of the "bad" files in the directory you have setup, and then the devs
can have a look and decide if it works for them. If everyone like the
output of Jalopy, I can run our source files through it once every
week or so?

> Another issue is that it is only for java files,
> whereas most of our problems are in the XSLT files.

True. Again, I would like to automate the process of cleaning. Tidy
does a fairly good job with arbitrary XML (tidy.sf.net). We can also
try using XML-Tidy
(http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/XML/XML-Tidy-1.0.4C8K1Ah.readme).
I'll give these a shot tonight and post feedback.

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: floatingsun.net