forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Different views for the same source file
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:20:49 GMT
> Here's a tough one. I'm not sure how best to solve it since 'm still
> digging around in the sitemaps for views (I think I'm starting to
> understand the implementation as well as the theory now ;-)
>
> I have a number of resumes, one for each member of staff. The staff love
> the fact that they can each have a unique layout for their CV, whilst
> still keeping the company branding on their pages - very impressive and
> certainly an excellent use case for views
>
> [OT] This plugin will make a great place to show the power of views.
> Unfortunately, none of my work is documented in the plugin yet,
> hopefully I'll find the time, but not until I finish this project.
>
> Anyway, to the problem.
>
> We need to be able to present different views on each source file. For
> example, the blogs.xml resume needs to be presented with a number of
> different views. Each view will have different content, for example, the
> "complete" view will have all project history with full details of all
> projects no matter how long ago they took place. The "recent" view will
> show the full details of the most recent job and a summary of each of
> the earlier projects.
>
> I'm not at all sure how to do this. I guess the view name will be
> provided in the URL:
>
> http://domain.com/resume/complete_view/blogs.html
> http://domain.com/resume/summary_view/blogs.html
>
> Any hints on how I then pass that to the view resolver in the
> internal.view plugin?
>
> Ross

It sounds like Cocoon's "Views" would be more appropriate, allowing
you to do something like this:
http://domain.com/resume/blogs.html?view=complete
http://domain.com/resume/blogs.html?view=summary

Your use-case sounds a lot like the description of cocoon views.
Maybe you're not going that route for a reason though?
--tim