forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:35:08 GMT
On 8/22/05, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> >
> > So here's what I have right now:
> >
> > o I can do a simple ./build.sh jar.debug -- this creates a "debug" version of
> > Forrest. When you next run Forrest, the data will be automatically logged.
> > Where and how and what to log is all configurable via an XML file
> [snip]
> > So what do devs think of this? If we find this valuable, I can commit
> > everything to SVN.
>
> Would you please briefly explain what is needed.
>
> We could probably add shell script options that run
> certain profilers if the user has them installed,
> i.e. we provide the configuration files for various
> supporting tools and our shell script knows how to
> run the user-supplied tool.
>
> -David

Out of curiousity, does profiler.xmap already do any of this
[performance profiling stuff]?  I wasn't able to get it working in
order to tell but in reading the cocoon docs on it, it looks like it
gives profile info for each step in the pipeline.  Has anyone seen it
work?  Maybe it's something different?
--tim