forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PMC] change the procedure for new committers
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:06:42 GMT
On 8/17/05, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:

> > > If someone does refuse then that would lead to an interesting and
> > > valuable onlist discussion. Although I agree, I don't think anyone ever
> > > would.
> >
> > One reason I could see is that they may not be their rights to assign
> > and they may not look into it until after they accept the
> > committer/pmc offer.  For example, I had my corporate legal review the
> > CLA *after* I accepted the offer to become a committer.  In my case,
> > the way contracts are written, both my customer and company jointly
> > own the IP for my work on contract so both have to agree to it.  Since
> > I've yet to get anyone to pay me to do Forrest-related work;) it's not
> > yet an issue for me.  One could argue that this should be looked into
> > before accepting and that sounds reasonable, it just didn't happen in
> > my case.
>
> Great stuff Tim, exactly the discussion that we need.
>
> So it would be best to wait until a CLA is recorded.
> That step can take some time, but it is worth the wait.
>
> Any issues about the CLA should probably be discussed
> in private. Sure it would be good for the community
> to understand the issues via an open discussion,
> however i imagine that the person and their employer
> would not want this. So that would be done on our
> pmc@ list if that is what the person wants. We can
> also generalise the issues and take them to the
> legal-discuss list.
>
> Please all committers remember that you need to
> continually re-assess your situation. You might need
> to submit a Corporate CLA as well as an Individual CLA
> if you contribute changes that are done with work-related
> resources.
>
> -David

I think changing the procedure also clears up another small point of
confusion.  When to have the first commit.  The new committer gets
there credentials and permissions and are told that there is a three
day wait for board acknowledgement.  Even though they can technically
committ at that point it would make the news publicly available before
the official announcement.  I waited three days or for the official
announcement not know exactly what to do, but these new procedures
will make this a non-issue.   Just one more reason for the
documentation I suppose.
--tim