forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <>
Subject Re: doc howto: be a developer (Was: svn commit: r233994)
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:52:30 GMT
On 8/22/05, David Crossley <> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> > This is essentially what I was hoping the Developers Guide would
> > eventually be.
> Tim refers to site-author/content/xdocs/developer-guide.xml
> We talked a while ago about providing such documentation
> and today we both added our partially finished work.

Sorry, I should have communicated better, when I changed laptops a
while back my original doc got blasted and I had to recreate what I
could remember.

> So now there is docs_0_80/howto/howto-dev.html
> > I'm in favor of just removing the developers guide.
> > This is good stuff.
> We can merge the content. It seems to complement the howto.

I'll remove mine as it's duplicative.

> Are people happy with the Howto format for this document?
> The document will eventually grow too big, so some of the
> topics should be split off into their own document.
> We should also revise the contrib.html document. It was
> borrowed from Cocoon and some sections removed to get it
> published quickly. It could refer to these howto docs.

I like the content, but I think it should get promoted out of a how-to
and somewhere on the main site.  This is for a couple reasons: 1) it's
not really a how-to in a typical sense (i.e. step-by-step instructions
towards a specific end-state) and 2) it isn't really version specific
content, and 3) people wouldn't look for such a document in the
product documentation, they'd look for it in the project

It looks great...

View raw message