forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release early, release often(Re: Using Jira and branches for Project Management)
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:41:48 GMT
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:

> > [ snip ]
> >

> >>I think we are all in agreement with this. So lets plan a 0.8 milestone
> >>1 release. On one of the major features in 0.8 will be Locationmaps.
> >

> > What is meant by a "milestone" release, and why not just call
> > it 0.8 final? Then get on with 0.9 which will be forrest:views.
> > I do not see the need for this M1 and M2 stuff.
>
> That is fine by me as long as it doesn't upset the forrest:views people.
> I don't want to  give the impression that I'm proposing pushing
> forrest:views back.
>
> Mind you since locationmap was originally committed during the 0.5
> development cycle it's release is overdue a little more than
> forrest:views ;-)
>
> Are others OK with doing a 0.8 with the locationmap and doing a 0.9 with
> forrest:views?

I gather this is a departure from the suggestion the other day that a
release is cooked when 0 or few issues left in JIRA?  I'm not sure
what features should qualify for a new release but locationmap seems
to be widely useful or visible so I'm not sure that it rates the
distinction of a "key feature" driving the release.  I don't have a
problem with it, just think this is a lot like having a release for
code refactoring -- (i.e., not much for a user to get excited about).
--tim