forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:55:07 GMT
Sunday, August 28, 2005, 2:37:03 PM, David Crossley wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:

>> Good.  I could provide instructions how to set things up for debugging
>> with IntelliJ IDEA, and profiling with Yourkit Java Profiler, if you'd
>> like.

> That would be good. Perhaps we can have a document on the
> Project tab of our docs that explains how developers can
> do the benchmarking themselves. I use IDEA too, and take
> up the Yourkit offer for opensource licenses.

How would I submit such a document?  As JIRA issue?

>> > Good stuff Ron. How shall we proceed? I could get the
>> > shell of a benchmark site started ('forrest seed-benchmark').
> Okay done. Running that cammand will now produce a basic site.
> We need to add some content to exercise the various parts
> of the forrest processing.

Excellent!

>> Should I have a look how the Cocoon profiler block can be integrated?
>> That is, if it is possible to make a plugin, or if the would need to
>> put it into the seeded benchmark site.

> Yes please. I have also started to investigate that,
> but don't wait for me.

I've started to look at things, and were able to look at the Cocoon
profiler things with "forrest run" in site-author/.  Quite a number of
things were already present within Forrest, but required some tweaking
on my machine.  Here's what I did:

- replace the "profiler" matches with "profile.html" in profiler.xmap
and sitemap.xmap

- move the "profile.html" match up in the pipeline, before the
"*.html" match in sitemap.xmap

- add the profiler roles in forrest-core.xconf

- replace the caching and noncaching pipelines with their profiling
counterparts; that is, the pipeline is still named "caching," but uses
"org.apache.cocoon.components.profiler.ProfilingCachingProcessingPipeline."

Currently, I am wondering about three things:
- How can the top level pipes be replaced with their profiling
counterparts, without too much hassle?  They can, and probably should,
keep their name "caching" and "noncaching."  The rest would probably
fit easily within a plugin.

- The profiling document uses parameters for individual profiling
results, for example ".../profile.html?key=-3752097465161278089."
Not sure what this means for static site generation.

- For static site generation, profile.html would need to be the
last page generated.

Ron