forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Different views for the same source file
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:30:42 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:

>>I have a number of resumes, one for each member of staff. The staff love
>>the fact that they can each have a unique layout for their CV, whilst
>>still keeping the company branding on their pages - very impressive and
>>certainly an excellent use case for views

>>We need to be able to present different views on each source file. For
>>example, the blogs.xml resume needs to be presented with a number of
>>different views. Each view will have different content, for example, the
>>"complete" view will have all project history with full details of all
>>projects no matter how long ago they took place. The "recent" view will
>>show the full details of the most recent job and a summary of each of
>>the earlier projects.
>>
>>I'm not at all sure how to do this. I guess the view name will be
>>provided in the URL:
>>
>>http://domain.com/resume/complete_view/blogs.html
>>http://domain.com/resume/summary_view/blogs.html
>>
>>Any hints on how I then pass that to the view resolver in the
>>internal.view plugin?
>>
>>Ross
>

> It sounds like Cocoon's "Views" would be more appropriate, allowing
> you to do something like this:
> http://domain.com/resume/blogs.html?view=complete
> http://domain.com/resume/blogs.html?view=summary
>
> Your use-case sounds a lot like the description of cocoon views.
> Maybe you're not going that route for a reason though?

Using a parameter in the URL is not an option since these do not make
for valid filenames and therefore it is impossible to generate a static
site (a requirement in this use case).

Furthermore, if I understand Cocoon views correctly, they allow me to
stop processing at a certain point in the pipeline in order to get a
different view. This is not what I want to do, I am changing what is
displayed not how it is processed.

(your response gives another strong indicator that the name "view" is
incorrect, we really need to resolve this naming issue)

Of course I can do it with the sitemap, filtering out the parts that I
don't want at the point of generating the XDoc.

I'm just exploring to see what the limitations of forrest:views are and
if it makes sense to do this kind of work there rather than in the sitemap.

You see, ultimately, I would like to be able to provide a parameterised
template that would allow *users* to specifiy what is in their view by
editing a config file. I'm just working out where the best palce to do
this is. Prior to forrest:views I would, without hesitation, have done
it in the sitemap. Now I can see that it may be possible in
forrest:views (I'm not saying this is the right thing to do though).

Ross