forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automated formatting of XML files
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:20:46 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> addi wrote:
>
>>Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>>
>>>The reason I don't want to use any IDE for this cleanup task, and
>>>instead a tool like Tidy, is that things can be automated much more
>>>easily. We can schedule clean-ups periodically, add targets to the
>>>build process to do it automatically -- there's a lot of flexibility
>>>in how we go about it.
>

> But we cannot do such cleanup automatically.
> I do agree that we can have tools to assist us,
> even stand-alone build targets.

Some time ago I proposed that this clean-up step could be part of the
release process. So that, for example, when the code goes into freeze a
designated committer runs a number of scripts that do this clean up on
all code in the repository using a script and a standard tool.

This way we clean our formatting once every few months and our releases
are always nicely formatted.

Now that this work towards configs for the tools has progressed this is
more of a practicle proposal than it was at the time.

Ross