forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: XHTML2 - let's do it!
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:12:42 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> 10. XHTML Hypertext Module
>     * 10.1. The a element

We don't need this, it's use is deprecated in XHTML2 by allowing an href
attribute on any element:

"Linking: In HTML 3, only a elements could be the source and target of
hyperlinks. In HTML 4 and XHTML 1, any element could be the target of a
hyperlink, but still only a elements could be the source. In XHTML 2 any
element can now also be the source of a hyperlink, since href and its
associated attributes may now appear on any element. So for instance,
href="home.html">Home</li>. Even though this means that the a element is
now strictly-speaking unnecessary, it has been retained."

I understand that we will, most likely, want to support this within our
input formats, but I propose we don't support it internally, it only
serves to add more complexity to our stylsheets since we will have to
support the @href attribute anyway (it is part of 13. XHTML Hypertext
Attributes Module -

View raw message