forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making Forrest serve Lenya content
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:17:42 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 18:10 +0200, Joachim Breitsprecher wrote:
>
>>Inspired by recent discussions on this list I decided to give it a try
>>and implement the suggestions about integrating Lenya content into
>>Forrest.

:-))

>> However, I was stopped short by my lack of knowledge about
>>Forrest internals. Maybe someone can provide some hints about how to go on.

:-((

>>And voila! Forrest served Lenya's content by browsing to
>>http://localhost:8888/lenya/index.xml.

:-))

>>However, http://localhost:8888/lenya/index.html still returns an empty
>>page with just the decorations and navigation, but no content.

:-((

>>The
>>reason for this is probably that Forrest expects content in XDocs
>>format, while Lenya serves XHTML.

Correct.

>>Any hints? :)
>>

> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/locationmap.html
>
> <map:match pattern="lenya/**.xml">
>   <map:generate type="html" src="{lm:{0}}" />
>   <map:transform src="{forrest:stylesheets}/html2document.xsl" />
>   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
> </map:match>

I don't recall documenting that - I'm impressed with myself :-))

> Anyway IMO we should just add a xdocs doctype to the lenya default pub and directly serving
xdocs.
> That would allow to handle the content more efficient.

+1, but this is a valuable experiment since some sites will have XHTML
content in their Lena publication. Lets proceed with this simple case
first. Especially for those feeling their way around Forrest and Lenya
for the first time.

> If you have some working code that you can attach to the issue tracker? I will take care
of it. ;-)
> Thanks jb and welcome to forrest. Nice to see you over here and hope you stay. ;-)

+1000

Two new people working on Lenya + Forrest is great news for Forrest
since this will use forrest:views and locationmaps - two key components
that need thorough testing. This work is an excellent use case.

Ross

Ross