forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: use of whiteboard in forrest
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:40:44 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> Can someone describe the intended use of the whiteboard in our svn?
> Is it a committers playground for project-related stuff?  I'm unclear
> when it should be used.

You know, this is a really good question. I don't know that we have ever
actually defined what it is used for. I'll tell you what *I* use it for:

Often I build basic code (usually plugins) that fits a very specific
requirement but is not polished enough in the sense of being easily
configurable to adaption for other use cases. I therefore put this code
in the whiteboard in the hope that someone will find it useful and
enhance it.

However, now that plugins are versioned I don't know that this is a
legitimate use. Since if a plugin is usable it should be released as a
0.1 or even a 0.1-dev

A second use I make of the whiteboard is if I am experimenting with a
way of implementing something. This can be seen with the Daisy plugin
where I am not yet convinced that my approach is the correct approach
and I need to play around a little. Another example of this is
forrest:views which may change their interfaces before going into trunk.

This second usage would be replaced if we decide to go with my SVN
reorganisation proposal since each plugin will have its own trunk and
branches.

Perhaps we should use this thread to decide how we should use
Whiteboard. I have noticed that it becomes a kind of "graveyard" for
half finished code if it is not carefully managed.

Ross