forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: copyright years (Was: svn commit: r231139)
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:02:54 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>If you take a file as a unit, yes. If you take a patch as a unit, no, as
>>the last patch applied has a start date that comes after the initial
>>creation of the file.
>>

>Ah, that is an interesting perspective.

Actually there is no legal requirement to state a work as copyrighted,
it is the reverse, one must state it is *not* copyrighted, otherwise it
will automatically carry copyright under international law. Such
statements are only for convenience, they are not a legal mark, thus we
can make the dates mean anything we want to. (note the application of
the license header is a different issue and the dates may be important
for that, IANAL)

Ross