forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trimming SVN checkouts (was Re: Move eclipse tools out of trunk)
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:13:47 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>I've not thought through the implications of this. I'm pretty sure that
>>moving tools out is a good idea (notice I suggest a tools subdirectory
>>when moving eclipse, that was for a reason ;-) feel free to rubbish the
>>idea though (or even agree with it ;-)
>

> I don't yet see what we gain by doing this, other than
> people can checkout certain parts separately.

My thinking is that we move all plugins code out of core. Most devs are
not interested in most of the plugins, yet they have to checkout
everything. Similarly, most devs are not interested in whiteboard or tools.

When we consider things like full docbook support in a plugin we will
have lots of XSL, DTD etc. from the Docbook project. This will be a
pretty large plugin, others may also get pretty large.

By extracting the plugins, tools, whiteboard etc we enable devs to
checkout just the core stuff and any particular parts they want. Hence
checkout (and subsequent "svn status" and similar commands) happen
quicker. Using svn:external we can still provide a single checkout for
those developers who want everything.

Similarly, some devs are not interested in core, but would like to work
on docs or on, for example, the OOo plugin. These devs would be able to
work on them without having to checkout the full Forrest svn.

Ross