forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest Tuesday (Was: Bug Days (Was Re: better use of Jira for Forrest))
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:34:47 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
>>
>>>David Crossley a ?crit :

>>>When will we decide the regular bug day ?
>>
>>Are you volunteering to organise it? I do hope so ;-)
>

> More surprises for Cyrique's return.
> I have started to investigate what is involved.

WooHoo!!!

Thanks David.

> We can use the Cocoon wiki if we need to have
> a whiteboard for the day. Or does someone have
> better ideas on collaborative techniques.

The wiki worked well for Cocoon. The big advantage is that it is not a
synchronous medium so it doesn't matter that we will not all be online
at the same time.

However, I'd rather see Thorsten get a Lenya instance up and we start
using that, both Thorsten and I are keen to push forward on the Doco
thing and this could be the first exposure of many devs to Lenya.

> In our earlier discussions, we agreed that we don't
> want to have the channel as a permanent means of
> communication. So i looked into how to restrict it.
> Just start a new channel at the beginning of the
> day with name like for-09 and it will close when
> the last one of us leaves at the end of the 24 hours.
> Simple.

I assume this para refers to IRC.

An alternative is Skype. Much higher bandwidth communications. VSkype
allows up to 200 participants and enables the sharing of a desktop image.

However, can we record the audio for this? Is it as useful after the
event because it won't be logged? Would we be in danger of making it
more aceptable as a communications medium since it can't be disabled
like an IRC channel?

> So the first "Forrest Tuesday" would be 6 September.
>

>>Lets remind ourselves that we are not talking about being available for
>>the whole 24 hours, or even every bug day. We are simply trying to
>>identify the day that would be most likely to see us being able provide
>>*some* time during the 24 hours in *some* months.
>

> Unless you get excited and stay up all night.
> I remember that Antonio and i did that on one
> Cocoon First Friday.

:-))

> Each meeting could either just concentrate on getting Jira
> under control or have a special topic like a group effort
> to move the core to use xhtml2.

OOOhhh that's a hard one. Getting Jira under control is more important.
But doing XHTML2 is more fun!

> Also it is a place for us to get to know each
> other a little.

+10000

See you all Sept. 6th

Ross