forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Release early, release often(Re: Using Jira and branches for Project Management)
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:13:45 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> IMHO, we do not practice "release early, release often", often enough :) This
> has been mentioned on the list before (see [1], [2]), however I don't think
> it has actually seeped into our development just as yet.
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/14805/
> [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/11665/
>
> Take a look at our release durations:
> o 0.2 -> 0.3 : 2 months
> o 0.3 -> 0.4 : 1 month
> o 0.4 -> 0.5 : 7 months
> o 0.5 -> 0.6 : 1 YEAR
> o 0.6 -> 0.7 : 8 months
> o 0.7 -> 0.8 : 2 months and counting...
>
> I just think that releasing as soon as we have some set of self contained
> features in is a good idea. It gives confidence to the users that all is well
> -- I mean what the end user usually sees are "releases".

I think we are all in agreement with this. So lets plan a 0.8 milestone
1 release. On one of the major features in 0.8 will be Locationmaps.
These are working now and Tim just enabled locationmap mounting which
allows us to use them within Forrest itself. We also have the new seed
system which is pretty significant (although Thorsten needs to resolve
the vote he called). I propose the following tasks for the 0.8M1 release:

- Provide a Forrest locationmap to simplify the existing forrest sitemaps.

- Provide better documentation for the locationmap
   - locationmap in seed

- Finalise and document the new seed system

- Solve the performance issues that have resulted form the Cocoon upgrade.

Lets be careful about adding more stuff into this early release, that
will only serve to delay the release too much.

----

We can then start looking at 0.8M2 which should focus on forrest:views.
Thosten already spent some time prioritising stuff we discussed at
ApacheCon so we are well on our way to identifying the reqruiements for
0.8M2

----

I'll start setting up Jira with these goals and assign sub tasks as per
our discussion on using Jira (unless there are objections of course,
I'll track this thread to keep things in line in Jira). It would be
really nice if we had some documentation come out of that thread in time
for a 0.8M1 release as well.

Ross