forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Using Jira and branches for Project Management
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:00:37 GMT
We are getting larger as a developer base. As a consequence there is an
increasing tendencies for small numbers of devs to work on different
sections of the code base. As a result we are becoming a little
disorganised - one virtual team not knowing what the other is doing.

It is impossible to keep up with all the discussions on list and
understand exactly what needs to be done/discussed to complete a job.

With the natural come and go of developers as other commitments keep
them away from Forrest for a while we end up with partially complete
functionality.

Recently we had a discussion about using branches witin our development
to ensure only complete functionlaity is in Trunk. This, ultimately,
seems like a great idea and we need to action it, see [1] and the
subsequent discussion in [2].

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=111968323717620&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=111970514323568&w=2

(we need to document this thread as part of our project participation
guidelines)

In addition to this it is important that we keep track of what is going
on in terms of strategy. There are so many great ideas here in Forrest
that we simply can't implement them all.

Jira is the tool for keeping track of this stuff so that we can track
and prioritise things. However I'm not too sure what the best way of
utilising this resource is. DOes anyone have an experiences to share?

Ross