forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Anil Ramnanan <l...@peppersauce.org>
Subject Re: Respository brwoser for eclipse plugin Re: Daisy Repository
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:28:31 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> However, I would like to discuss the design you have in mind for this
> as this is a complex task and we need to make sure it is done right
> (or as close to right as we can get it within a reasonable amount of
> discussion).
>
> In particular, I'm confused as to why you say you need so many jars. I
> have a Java Daisy client that only uses the following from your list:
>
>> DAISY_HOME/lib/daisy/jars/daisy-repository-api-1.3.jar
>> DAISY_HOME/lib/daisy/jars/daisy-repository-client-impl-1.3.jar
>> DAISY_HOME/lib/daisy/jars/daisy-repository-spi-1.3.jar

The extra jars were from the example on Daisy's site. You are right that
only those jars are needed. I put the others because I wasn't sure if I
would need the rest.

> And, if you examine the daisy plugin you'll find that it communicates
> effectively with the repository without the need for any JARs as it
> uses the REST API to the repository.
>
> This question and the list of jars you have identified makes me think
> there are some problems with either your approach or my approach. I
> would like to know which it is.

Following Daisy's documentation, I see that there are three interfaces:
Javascript, the Java API and the HTTP API. I was planning to use the
Java API
(http://cocoondev.org/daisydocs-1_3/repository/interfaces/28.html) to
get the documents from the repository.
I believe your method uses the HTTP API. Should I be going in this
direction instead ?

Anil.