forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Respository brwoser for eclipse plugin Re: Daisy Repository
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:00:06 GMT
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> I am trying to implement a class in the plugin to read the Daisy
> Repository using the API at
> http://cocoondev.org/daisydocs-1_3/repository/interfaces/28.html
> This requires that a number of jars be included. Would I be able to
> include the Daisy jars in the plugin ?

First I will answer your question because it is useful information
generally (and can be applied to other binary files you may wish to
include in an Open Source project.

You need to check the licenses for any jars you want to include. Any BSD
style license is compatible. If you are in doubt then ask about the
specific license. What I can tell you is that Daisy itself is Apache
licensed so no problem with the daisy-* jars.

For all jars you must include the license for each jar with the correct
naming convention. See lib in the forrest distribution for lots of
examples of this. Note this means duplicating the license file for each
of the individual jars. You also need to check the license terms to see
if you need to add any acknowledgments elsewhere (such as in a NOTICE file).

---

However, I would like to discuss the design you have in mind for this as
this is a complex task and we need to make sure it is done right (or as
close to right as we can get it within a reasonable amount of discussion).

In particular, I'm confused as to why you say you need so many jars. I
have a Java Daisy client that only uses the following from your list:

> DAISY_HOME/lib/daisy/jars/daisy-repository-api-1.3.jar
> DAISY_HOME/lib/daisy/jars/daisy-repository-client-impl-1.3.jar
> DAISY_HOME/lib/daisy/jars/daisy-repository-spi-1.3.jar

And, if you examine the daisy plugin you'll find that it communicates
effectively with the repository without the need for any JARs as it uses
the REST API to the repository.

This question and the list of jars you have identified makes me think
there are some problems with either your approach or my approach. I
would like to know which it is.

Can you please outline you design.

Ross