forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Interactive Forrest command (was Re: [Vote] deprecated seed (was Re: svn commit: r231130))
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:11:46 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer schrieb:
>>Ross Gardler schrieb:
>>>We change the "seed" target to be an interactive target that provides a
>>>menu of all available seed sites.
>>Not sure about this. It adds some overhead on getting started.
>>A simple text message explaining these options may suffice,
>>the user can then choose to create some "seed-special".
> Now that I've read Ross' answer to Gav's questions about
> contributing ... what about making a simple 'forrest'
> become more interactive? Right now it builds forrest (huh?)
> and displays the "run forrest -project-help" message.

Actually, the default behaviour for "forrest" is to run "forrest site".

> Somebody typing just 'forrest' does not know how it is
> used. She would maybe expect some help or even better:
> an interactive guide to getting started with forrest.

Yes that is a better place for the interactive target I described. So
options would be things like:

site - build a forrest site in the current directory
run - run forrest in dynamic mode in the current directory
seed - create a simple starter site in the current directory
seed-sample - create a sample site...
seed-business - create a simple site template for a business
available-plugins - list all the plugins available for Forrest

Doing this will hekp users learn/remember the targets available and does
not prevent them from running any of the targets directly, i.e. "forrest
seed", "forrest run", "forrest site"

View raw message