forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: [Vote] deprecated seed (was Re: svn commit: r231130)
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:09:03 GMT

Johannes Schaefer schrieb:

> Ross Gardler schrieb:
> <snip/>
>
>>Alternative
>>-----------
>>
>>We change the "seed" target to be an interactive target that provides a
>>menu of all available seed sites.
>

> Not sure about this. It adds some overhead on getting started.
> A simple text message explaining these options may suffice,
> the user can then choose to create some "seed-special".

Now that I've read Ross' answer to Gav's questions about
contributing ... what about making a simple 'forrest'
become more interactive? Right now it builds forrest (huh?)
and displays the "run forrest -project-help" message.

Somebody typing just 'forrest' does not know how it is
used. She would maybe expect some help or even better:
an interactive guide to getting started with forrest.

What do others think?
Johannes

> See my response to the vote as well.
>
> Johannes
>

>>This way the user can do "forrest seed" and be presented with:
>>
>>1 - seed-simple (basic site with minimal content, ideal for starting
>>your own site)
>>2 - seed-business (basic business template site, ideal for starting a
>>business site)
>>3 - seed-sample (a demonstration site that describes key functionality
>>within Forrest)
>>
>>[Note] You can run any of these targets directly from the command line
>>with "forrest seed-TARGETNAME"
>>
>>---
>>
>>I also agree with David that we need to stick to a single naming
>>convention. Looking at "forrest -projecthelp" I see that it is my stuff
>>that has broken the "standard". I have fixed that.
>>
>>Ross

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de