forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject How to find things to contribute (was: Re: Reducing Forrest build time)
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:27:43 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> [...]

No, that is not at all true. There is no need to find a "niche", simply
contribute to whatever part of Forrest interests you and you have the
skills to work on.

The code and docs are not owned by any individual, just jump in there
and do anything that needs doing, don't worry about "niches". All
developers will welcome help with what might appear to be their "niche"
because it is not *theirs* it is part of the project that they consider
to be important.

> I have yet to find a niche, but in the meantime I'm having a good look
> around
> and seeing what I can or may be able to do.(Question barage coming up!)

By reading these mails you will be identifying things to be done. There
are also lists of things in our issue tracker.

I noticed that you added your support to the idea of an interactive
target for the forrest command. If you think it is a good idea, perhaps
your itch is strong enough to implement it? It doesn't matter if people
don't like the idea of it being the new "seed" target, it can be an
alternative target for people to work with. Just go ahead and make the
patch and we'll work out how to incorporate it in a logical way.

This task may seem trivial, but it will encourage you to get into our
build system and understand how it works. Then, you may come up with
ideas for improvements.

There are plenty of small but important jobs like this that will expose
you to the inner workings of Forrest. By doing these little jobs that
interest you, you will gain an understanding of how Forrest works.
Before long you will be tackling the larger, more complex jobs.

A good place to start looking our issue tracker:

http://tinyurl.com/dnpot

In particular, a good way of getting a handle on where Forrest *may*
head in the next few releases would be to address
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-618 "Create issues for items
discussed at Apachecon"

Ross

Ross