forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reducing Forrest build time
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:55:12 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> .
> |
> | We cannot just upgrade our version of Cocoon
> | trunk and expect everything to be the same.
> | One of us needs to investigate the Cocoon changes.
> |
> | -David
>
> I don't know the full ins and outs of these Apache Projects,
> but shouldn't there be maybe people dedicated to bridging
> the gaps between projects. Or at least someone who knows
> Cocoon working on Forrest and vice-versa.

That is one of the very important roles of committers within Apache. We
should be ensuring that we do not duplicate effort between projects and
therefore we should, as you say, have people in both projects.

You may be interested to know that many of the devs on this list are
also subscribed to the Cocoon lists (and other related Apache projects,
such as Lenya). Some are just watching, some are active.

> This may seem as asking someone to do two jobs and work
> on two projects, but what I mean is someone (x?) to work
> purely on crossover issues. Maybe somebody is already doing
> this.

We are all volunteers. We all have our own private reasons for being
here and giving our time voluntarily. You will often see people talk of
itches, they may say something like "it's your itch, go scrathc it"
meaning you cannot expect someone else to do the job, if you think it is
important then just go and do it.

We *do* need more people working on cross pollintation between Cocoon
and Forrest. We also need more people working on fixing the bugs in
Jira, we need more people working on the docs, we need more people
supporting our users, we need more people testing, we need more people -
full stop

If you can help, please do (I recognise the fact that you are looking
for ways to help, keep it up)

Ross