forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Anil Ramnanan <l...@peppersauce.org>
Subject Re: Simple committership
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:32:03 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I also agree. It would be interesting to hear Anils take on this since
> some projects have given their GSoC people "simple committership".  I
> did check with Anil that he understood why we were not doing that, but
> it was a private discussion so I don't want to repeat his words.
>
> Anil, perhaps you can give us a sentence or two on your take on this.
> Do you feel that it would be better for you to have simple
> committership or to work, as you are doing.
>
> Ross

I agree that everyone should have to follow the same track. In my case,
even though other GSoC people have gotten "simple commitership", I don't
think that such a privilege is necessary for me to work.

As I understand it, part of the GSoC experience was not only writing
code but getting to know how an open source community works. In such a
case, part of my learning experience is how someone can start from the
ground up, contributing to a project and building from there. If I was
give "simple commitership", it would have been because I was part of
GSoC and not because of the contributions that  I was making. I would
have missed a step (probably one of the most important ones) in the
community. Without the simple commitership, it means that I am earning
my place in the community just like everyone else.

Anil