forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Simple committership
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:41:24 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>
>>On a side note, not that we should necessarily consider this... but
>>it's worth mentioning that there's a social factor to all this as
>>well, right?  I mean, let's be honest, it'd suck to be the new guy/gal
>>voted in as a committer-only to Forrest knowing that all before you
>>are PMC members as well.  I suppose I bring this up because whatever
>>course is taken, it should probably be all or nothing -- in other
>>words, we either say everyone goes through the commitership->pmc
>>incubation->pmc track or everyone goes directly to PMC as it is now;
>>there's not enough objective criteria to distinguish between the two
>>on an individual-by-individual basis.
>

> This is an interesting point, I agree with it.

I also agree. It would be interesting to hear Anils take on this since
some projects have given their GSoC people "simple committership".  I
did check with Anil that he understood why we were not doing that, but
it was a private discussion so I don't want to repeat his words.

Anil, perhaps you can give us a sentence or two on your take on this. Do
you feel that it would be better for you to have simple committership or
to work, as you are doing.

Ross