forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Repository browser: Daisy or Lenya ?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:19:36 GMT
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote
>

>>I just went back to the Anil's original proposal and it calls out
>>Lenya specifically (see below).  I went back and looked because I
>>don't understand what exactly this does.  I thought the general
>>approach for "integrating" backend repositories was the use of
>>locationmap, thus not so much integrated as "linked to".  Is this
>>"Repository Browser"  a way to "browse" the repository then create a
>>location match based on what is found?  I've been a way for a couple
>>weeks now and am slowly catching up so I apologize if I missed
>>something.  Can someone give me more details of exactly this is to do?

Anil is working on an Eclipse plugin that provides GUI tools for
building Forrest sites. He is *not* working on the core of Forrest
itself, which, as you say would actually process the content as it doe now.

> The "Repository Browser" as I saw it would be a view in the Eclipse
> plugin that would allow the user to browse the documents in a particular
> repository. The user would then select the document that they are
> interested in and drag it to the locationmap where it will create the
> appropriate entries for it.

Yes.

Note that "appropriate entries" is complex. It is not just a case of
adding a one on one matcher, although this will do on the first iteration.

> The browser should be bale to support the
> browsing of multiple repositories.

This is very important. It is interesting that TIm picks up on the fact
that the original proposal named Lenya, that was a mistake on my part. I
should not have allowed the specific repository to be named. I was
hoping that more would have happened with respect to the Lenya plugin
before now. However, we have all been busy with other things. So in
order to facilitate Anil, we should change this to Daisy.

Ross