forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Anil Ramnanan <l...@peppersauce.org>
Subject Re: Repository browser: Daisy or Lenya ?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:11:46 GMT
Tim Williams wrote

>I just went back to the Anil's original proposal and it calls out
>Lenya specifically (see below).  I went back and looked because I
>don't understand what exactly this does.  I thought the general
>approach for "integrating" backend repositories was the use of
>locationmap, thus not so much integrated as "linked to".  Is this
>"Repository Browser"  a way to "browse" the repository then create a
>location match based on what is found?  I've been a way for a couple
>weeks now and am slowly catching up so I apologize if I missed
>something.  Can someone give me more details of exactly this is to do?
>Thanks,
>--tim

The "Repository Browser" as I saw it would be a view in the Eclipse
plugin that would allow the user to browse the documents in a particular
repository. The user would then select the document that they are
interested in and drag it to the locationmap where it will create the
appropriate entries for it. The browser should be bale to support the
browsing of multiple repositories.

Here is a rough outline of how it should work.

        Repository View

       Repository Interface

         -------------------
         |            |               |
    Lenya      Daisy      Slide

The Repository View is the actual View in Eclipse which shows the
documents available in that repository. This is where the user can
select the document to be included in the locationmap.

The Repository Interface provides the view with the list of the the
documents available. The interface will be built so that it you can plug
in a number of different repositories. This way the Repository View
would be independent of the repository being used.

Daisy was suggested because there is a working Daisy plugin that allows
you to retrieve documents from a Daisy repository.

Anil