forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: simplified docbook plugin
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:43:34 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>Are you just talking about the stylesheet or the DTDs too?
>>>The trouble with the DTDs is that they will make this
>>>plugin, and our SVN trunk, very cumbersome. How many
>>>versions of Full DocBook and Simplified DocBook will
>>>we support?

> The issue is more about efficiency. When the xml parser
> encounters a document type declaration in an xml instance,
> then it must resolve the DTD and everything that is thereby
> referenced. So if you don't provide local copies, then there
> are network trips on every parse.
>
> We could not provide them, and just give people
> documentation about how to configure their own.
> In fact we already have that.
>
> The trouble is that they don't. Then poor Forrest
> would appear awfully slow to them.

How about we enhance the plugin install mechanism to offer to download
an additional package of DTD's. So the install process would be:

- set forrest.properties
- forrest
- approve plugin licenses (to be done)
- specify required DTD's
- install selected DTD's

This way we can tell users, "these DTD's are xMb, are you sure you want
to install them? If you don't install them then Forrest will only work
whilst you are online and will not perform as fast"

Ross