forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: user-friendly plugin names
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:33:29 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 3:04 pm, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>How do you avoid name conflicts given that Forrest does not have a
>>monopoly on plugin publication?
>>
>>That is what if I call a plugin foo and Joe calls his plugin foo and
>>then Forrest creates one called foo?
>

> Hmm, I guess that does create a problem. Can we atleast allow users to specify
> a user-defined map that binds canonical plugin names with simple names?
>
> In any case, I'd like to play around with this idea personally. Can someone
> please point the right direction... what would be the neatest way of
> implementing something like this?

I'm not convinced that the hassle of entering the plugin name once into
forrest properties makes this worth the effort. However, if you itch is
strong enough then you should start at the "init-plugins" target of
main/targets/plugins.xml

(note there is an open issue to remove all the logic from this ant
script and place it in an Ant task. Ant scripts should not really
contain complex logic like this).

Ross