forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cyriaque.Dupoiri...@pcotech.fr>
Subject Re: [Views] Progress with pelt look'n feel
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:03:52 GMT
Hi,

    I would like to share my work with pelt skin applied to views.
    But I have made few things to make it work and I want to talk with you.
    I changed the pelt skin in order to :

1 - Be able to - easily - retrieve some parts of the document such as :

    * The real content - without export links, title, subtitle,
      abstract, author...
    * The author of the page...

    To do this I had to add some div tags to embed the searched part.

2 - Use standard - that is existing - templates :

    * The tabs are marked "nav-main" and "nav-main-sub" in the
      leather-skin whereas they are marked "tabs" and "level2tabs" in pelt.

          To do this I copy tab2menu.xsl from the leather-dev skin to
use the same and I have updated the css files.

I think that these changes are not important but they may impact sites
with deep customization.
WDYT ?
(That is can I propose you a patch of the pelt skin in order to
facilitate the views generation ?)

The more I work with pelt skin for views and the more I am impressed by
the CSS ZenGarden http://www.csszengarden.com/ site.
I feel that if we generalize some generation rules, it will be easy to
use exactly the same template for pelt and leather-dev - or any other skins.
Some simple rules are :

    * Always embed parts of the document with a <div id="..."> </div> -
      this is exactly what hooks are for.
    * (For the previous point, maybe the use of class would be better,
      because with id attribute we cannot display several times the same
      parts :
          o for instance you want two search boxes,
          o or you want navigation arrows to navigate between the pages
            of your site - and you want a recall of these arrows at the
            bottom of your site...)
    * Always embed content parts with <span> in order to be able to skip
      it :

#specificDiv tag span {display:none;}

          o This is - for instance - used in the following site :
            http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/176/176.css&page=0
            where the header3 (h3) are replaced by pictures...

Since we are going to work on the generation core of forrest, this may
be the good moment to homogenize our generation rules.
WDYT 2 ?

Regards,
Cyriaque,