forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <>
Subject Re: Quick evaluation of Cocoon Portal Engine as forrest:views implementation
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:06:11 GMT
Another thing I've missed to mention
(this is taken from Carsten's presentation and the
demo portal)

* there is an event mechanism that allows interaction
  between coplets, e.g. moving a picture from a list
  into another coplet.

Don't know how Forrest could use this but it seems to
be a powerful mechanism.

Ross Gardler schrieb:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>>> Once again, Ross was faster to post and I responded
>>> to the first thread rather than reading on.
>>> This subject line is mcuh better than the other one
>>> (I would not see a competition but reduction of workload
>>> and re-use of code on both sides!).
>>> Ross' evaluation confirms what I've found out. It should
>>> be easy to integrate Forrest content but the skinning is
>>> weak.
>> Thanks Johannes, it is good to hear that the docs give the same
>> impression as actually playing with the code.
> I'm moving Johannes mail from another thread here so that we can discuss
> it in more detail in this thread. Here is Johannes mail, unedited:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>> I ran a Cocoon-Portal instance on my computer and an
>> independent Forrest one. Then I changed the config files
>> until I got "http://localhost:forrest/body-index.html"
>> into a coplet window. Finally I had some success.
>> This was the weekend right after the ApacheCon. Had no
>> time to fiddle around more, I'm back to work (BTW: a
>> Cocoon project). Sorry for the delay, I wanted to learn
>> more before posting ...
>> I noted some things, though.
>> * As Ross said, the layout seems to be completely table-based
>>   and Forrest already has left this behind. I did not try to
>>   change the styling, though.
>> * For Forrest content to go into the portal I had to strip the
>>   into the final page an did not like multiple <html>s inside
>>   too much (although it didn't blew up).
>> * I created a new sub-sitemap only for forrest, which is pretty
>>   easy in the portal framework (once you know where and what to
>>   change; it resides below the coplet folder, like 'docs').
>> * Forrest does not output xhtml as all the abc2xhtml.xsl
>>   stylesheets are saying. body-*.html is not even valid XML
>>   (no single root tag), let alone html.
>> * The portal uses a configuration hierarchy:
>>   1. define coplets
>>   2. define instances
>>      (may use coplets multiple times)
>>   3. define the layout
>> * Changes in these files (at least no. 2) sometimes required a
>>   restart of Cocoon/Portal to take effect which is rather
>>   annoying (maybe it's time to install tomcat ;-)
>> * Thorsten uses some simple xdoc-files for some of the content
>>   and I'm quite sure it would be no big deal to pass them
>>   through Forrest before output.
>> I'm lacking behind on Forrest:views (still), so I cannot
>> compare the two.
>> I'm willing to have a closer look, best with support by Carsten
>> who seems to read the thread (e.g. the frequent restarts) -- as
>> time allows.
>> Cheers
>> Johannes

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München