forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: Use Cocoon Portlets rather than views?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 07:22:56 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe schrieb:
> At ApacheCon Johannes, after listening to the presentation on Cocoon
> portlets, raised the question if views were not re-inventing the wheel
> with Cocoon portlets (I hope I remember the name right) already
> offering a similar functionality.

I ran a Cocoon-Portal instance on my computer and an
independent Forrest one. Then I changed the config files
until I got "http://localhost:forrest/body-index.html"
into a coplet window. Finally I had some success.

This was the weekend right after the ApacheCon. Had no
time to fiddle around more, I'm back to work (BTW: a
Cocoon project). Sorry for the delay, I wanted to learn
more before posting ...

I noted some things, though.

* As Ross said, the layout seems to be completely table-based
  and Forrest already has left this behind. I did not try to
  change the styling, though.
* For Forrest content to go into the portal I had to strip the
  into the final page an did not like multiple <html>s inside
  too much (although it didn't blew up).
* I created a new sub-sitemap only for forrest, which is pretty
  easy in the portal framework (once you know where and what to
  change; it resides below the coplet folder, like 'docs').
* Forrest does not output xhtml as all the abc2xhtml.xsl
  stylesheets are saying. body-*.html is not even valid XML
  (no single root tag), let alone html.
* The portal uses a configuration hierarchy:
  1. define coplets
  2. define instances
     (may use coplets multiple times)
  3. define the layout
* Changes in these files (at least no. 2) sometimes required a
  restart of Cocoon/Portal to take effect which is rather
  annoying (maybe it's time to install tomcat ;-)
* Thorsten uses some simple xdoc-files for some of the content
  and I'm quite sure it would be no big deal to pass them
  through Forrest before output.

I'm lacking behind on Forrest:views (still), so I cannot
compare the two.

I'm willing to have a closer look, best with support by Carsten
who seems to read the thread (e.g. the frequent restarts) -- as
time allows.

Cheers
Johannes

Ferdinand Soethe schrieb:
> At ApacheCon Johannes, after listening to the presentation on Cocoon
> portlets, raised the question if views were not re-inventing the wheel
> with Cocoon portlets (I hope I remember the name right) already
> offering a similar functionality.
>
> Ross said that he wanted to take a look at the latest version in
> Cocoon and see if and how far we are actually duplicating
> functionality.
>
> Ross, are you still going to comment on this? Can anybody else please
> comment? Are we in fact reinventing the wheel here?
>
> With all the work going into implementing views, testing and
> documenting them right now I'd like to see such a discussion happen
> rather soon.
>
> --
> Ferdinand Soethe

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de