forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:07:08 GMT
Ron Blaschke wrote:

> > I've started to look at things, and were able to look at the Cocoon
> > profiler things with "forrest run" in site-author/.
>
> Here's a short, edited, sample:
>
> body-index.html
>
> NN  Components(Role)    Average time   Lastest times
> 1   file ([1])           213 ms         30 ms    30 ms   581 ms
> 2   idgen                  6 ms         10 ms     0 ms    10 ms
> 3   xinclude            4202 ms       6219 ms  6389 ms     0 ms
> 4   linkrewriter ([2])  2333 ms          0 ms    10 ms  6990 ms
> 5   xslt ([3])            13 ms         20 ms    20 ms     0 ms
> 6   xslt ([4])            66 ms         20 ms    10 ms   170 ms
> 7   xslt ([5])             6 ms          0 ms    10 ms    10 ms
> 8   html                   0 ms          0 ms     0 ms     0 ms
>     Total time          6269 ms       6269 ms  6429 ms  7311 ms
>
> [1] cocoon:/index.xml
> [2] cocoon:/linkmap-index.html
> [3] resources/stylesheets/declare-broken-site-links.xsl
> [4] .../skins/pelt/xslt/html/document2html.xsl
> [5].../skins/common/xslt/html/strip_namespaces.xsl

Let us interpret that. The body-index.html was requested
three times. The right-hand column is the initial request.

Other columns are the subsequent requests. These should all
come from the cache, and that is true for most components.

However, "xinclude" does not. Its first processing is fast
(there are no xinclude statements in the source). On every
subsequent occasion it is being processed and taking too
much time.

Comment-out that xinclude transformer in sitemap.xmap
and the "extra" time then gets listed on the "idgen".
Comment-out that and the time moves to "linkrewriter".

I wondered if the stylesheet that does the profiler
presentation might have some bug. So i added the
prettier stylesheet that is provided in the Cocoon block.
Same effect. (The stylesheet seems better so i left that
in place).

Sorry, i don't don't know what to do now.

-David