forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:37:03 GMT
Ron Blaschke wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > Ron Blaschke wrote:
> [snip profiler stuff]
>
> > Some Forrest developers definitely want to see these
> > numbers and do want to get their hands dirty with Cocoon.
> > There must be a lot that we can do to speed it up, e.g.
> > tune our cache; more efficient sitemap processing; etc.
>
> Good.  I could provide instructions how to set things up for debugging
> with IntelliJ IDEA, and profiling with Yourkit Java Profiler, if you'd
> like.

That would be good. Perhaps we can have a document on the
Project tab of our docs that explains how developers can
do the benchmarking themselves. I use IDEA too, and take
up the Yourkit offer for opensource licenses.

> [snip benchmark site]
>
> > Good stuff Ron. How shall we proceed? I could get the
> > shell of a benchmark site started ('forrest seed-benchmark').
>
> Sounds good to me.  This would make it easy for plugins to get their
> own benchmark site, if they need one.

Okay done. Running that cammand will now produce a basic site.
We need to add some content to exercise the various parts
of the forrest processing.

> Should I have a look how the Cocoon profiler block can be integrated?
> That is, if it is possible to make a plugin, or if the would need to
> put it into the seeded benchmark site.

Yes please. I have also started to investigate that,
but don't wait for me.

-David