forrest-dev mailing list archives

From addi <a...@rocktreesky.com>
Subject Re: Automated formatting of XML files
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:40:45 GMT
On Friday August 26 2005 4:00 am, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Can't we have *one* thread for that?
>
> I do not see the point that we copy n' paste our replies between
> threads. David you give here nearly the same reply as in "Automated
> formatting of Java files". Is there a reason to treat java seperate from
> other files?
Yes, this is getting confusing having so many threads to check through.

> salu2
>
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 16:57 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> > Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> > > When I say XML, I mean all kinds of XML files (XSL, *.fv, *.ft)
> >
> > How will the tool know which are xml file-types?
> > We have a multitude of xml filename extensions.
> > There is a list on one of the tools in the
> > "committers" svn repository at relicense/src/insert.pl
> >
> > > As with Java, I have committed a "tidied" version of the
> > > html2document.xsl sample document in the test-whitespace directory. As
> > > with Jalopy, Tidy (http://tidy.sf.net) is extremely configurable, so if
> > > you don't like something or have a suggestion, just let me know.
> >
> > I think that it is doing too much, e.g. removing the
> > blank lines before major elements, e.g. <xsl:template>

I noticed that as well and in my admittedly cursory search about it, it seems
that it does that to all XML files.  Apparently it retains them for HTML and
XHTML but *not* XML?  More research/playing around would be necessary because
I didn't really have time to look far on that.

> > We should start with very simple stuff, e.g. just tabs
> > and trailing whitespace, then gradually add other operations.
> > However we don't want to get too strict on code style.
> >
> > I suggest that we define a list of what we would possibly
> > want to adrress. Here is a start:
> >
> > 1 whitespace at end-of-line
> > 2 tabs to four-space

Cut and paste gone wrong... XML types would be two-space no?

- Addi