forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject declaring sitemap components (Was: svn commit: r240091 - in /forrest/trunk/main/webapp: forrest.xmap sitemap.xmap)
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:48:39 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> Sorry, I should have put my opinion in while I had the opportunity in
> your other thread on this.  I think that moving some of these is good,
> but not all.  For example, the extparser transformer doesn't seem to
> be used elsewhere so it makes sense to me to only have it defined in
> forrest.xmap.  That way, if the requirement for it in forrest.xmap
> goes away we can confidently remove it from there.  Otherwise, we
> won't easily know if theres dependencies elsewhere on it so it would
> sit forever.  It follows the "define it as close to first use" idea.

That is goodness. I thought we agreed in the other
thread to only move commonly used ones up to the top.

> When I was first learning this sitemap stuff and brought the need for
> refactoring some time ago, I looked at creating a stylesheet that
> would analyze our sitemap space (minus project/plugins) to determine
> what's being used where.  I didn't get very far as my XSLT skills
> aren't great.

Can you put it in our SVN, then other people can
help to improve it. Sounds like a useful tool.

>  Here's a sample of what the output for the Transformers
> looks like.  It might be worth dusting that off and completing it
> before we do the sitemap refactoring.  These are where they are
> defined, we'd obviously want to go further than that into where
> they're used.  I wish I had time to further turn this into an SVG
> representation too;)
> --tim
>
> Transformers
>     * cinclude - { aggregate.xmap, sitemap.xmap, }
>     * extparser - { forrest.xmap, }
>     * i18n - { i18n.xmap, menu.xmap, tabs.xmap, }
>     * idgen - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * index - { search.xmap, }
>     * lexer - { forrest.xmap, sitemap.xmap, }
>     * linkrewriter - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * parser - { forrest.xmap, sitemap.xmap, }
>     * pattern - { forrest.xmap, resources.xmap, sitemap.xmap, }
>     * skinconf - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * xinclude - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * xpath - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * xslt - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * xsltc - { sitemap.xmap, }
>     * xslt-saxon - { sitemap.xmap, }

Connecting the email archives. Other discussion is here:
Re: Q: Placement of generators (FIXME in forrest.xmap )
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112487359200002

-David