forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Properly licensed icons
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:18:28 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> With creative commons licences it is extremely important to take a
> close look at the license options as there are a variety of different
> flavours that are explained very well at their website
> http://creativecommons.org/.
>
> Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> > Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work,
> > you may distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to
> > this one.http://creativecommons.org/
>
> If the share alike option is selected then this license is probably
> not compatible with the Apache License.

That was the part that worried me too.
It inhibits our downstream re-distributors.
Also what does "build upon" mean?

In this case it might be okay. It is a set
of icons that shouldn't be changed.

If people want this, then some of our committers
need to ensure that it is okay by taking it to
the legal-discuss mailing list:

The last time that this came up on our dev
list we were not sure about what to do.

Someone proposed to avoid the whole situation
by making a collection of Apache Licensed icons
to distribute with Forrest. Not yet happened.

Another solution would be to have a plugin
which is a Cocoon sitemap that generates a simple
graphic with text, colours, and size, based on
the request parameters. Should be easy.

Another solution would be to create a set of
static graphic icons, by extending our
trunk/tools/logos/ and we could check the
generated result into forrest core svn and/or
our plugins.

-David