forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Properly licensed icons
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:05:19 GMT
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> >It depends. The main thing is that we cannot add anything
> >that has retrictions beyond the terms of the Apache License.
> >
> >Please direct us to an example of something that you want
> >to include and to their license conditions.
> >
> Here is an example of icons that are made available under the Creative
> Commons license.
> http://www.graphicpush.com/index.php?s=icons
>
> Here is the license that it is released under:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/
>
> Basically the license states
> You are free:
>    * to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
>    * to make derivative works
>    * to make commercial use of the work
>
> Under the following conditions:
> by    Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified
> by the author or licensor.

Most such licenses would ask for simple attribution
and we add it to our trunk/NOTICE.txt file. If these
people ask for something beyond that then we need
to assess that requirement.

>       Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work,
> you may distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to
> this one.

See Ferdinand's comments.

>    * For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the
> license terms of this work.

That is okay. We would add their license beside
those files and retain their copyright headers.

>    * Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from
> the copyright holder.

We wouldn't.

-David