forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:04:30 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > We cannot create a dependency on an LGPL library.
> > The terms go beyond those of the Apache License.
>
> Forrest doesn't need to "depend" on JRat. Its only a tool for profiling. Is
> there no provision for including optional code under a different license?

We cannot add any code or libraries to our distribution
that imposes terms that go beyond those of the Apache License.
The aim is to enable fair distribution of software, not
just by the ASF, but also by other onward distributors.

That applies to everything: java code, xslt code, images,
jar files. Look at all the licenses in our lib directories
for examples of licenses that are compatible.

The terms of the Apache License are very straight-forward.
http://www.apache.org/licenses/
It is quite easy to see which licenses are incompatible.

There are some people working on developing an FAQ document,
but that is not available yet.

> does Forrest *need* to ship with Apache compatible licenses?

Yes, "must" is a better word to use.

> Also, what is
> the intended usage of the lib/optional directory?

For local users to add their own optional libaries
that are not included in the forrest distribution.

-David